Carphone Warehouse Suck

I decided to go for a Nokia E71 last week. After looking at the alternatives, I thought this was the one for me. I found a good deal on T-Mobile, who I rated when I was with them two years back. My next job was to get the PAC code from O2 so I could transfer my number. As I bought my current phone through Carphone Warehouse and they manage O2 connections, I had to call them to get the PAC code. But they wouldn't give it to me! I had to use the reference number to write to them and request the code. PATHETIC. A desperate attempt to eek out some final cash.

I Googled "Carphone Warehouse O2" and unearthed pages and pages of complaints, including letters requesting PAC codes "lost" in the post. You should be able to get your PAC code over the phone. How can Carphone Warehouse justify this long winded way of terminating your contract?

My suggestion: NEVER BUY A MOBILE PHONE (ESPECIALLY ONE ON O2) FROM CARPHONE WAREHOUSE.

9 comments:

those are terms and conditions dictated by the networks (in this case O2) to carphone warehouse.

There's nothing they can do about it.

Faf said...
29 August 2008 at 09:36  

faf - The fact that this is contractual and not just an unlucky example is even more reason to NEVER buy an O2 phone from Carphone Warehouse then.

James G said...
29 August 2008 at 10:03  

funny you should say that:

The main networks:

O2
T-mobile
Orange
Vodafone

all have the same policy.

Only Virgin and a few other small networks will text you your PAC code

I suppose then it means dont buy any phones from the main guys at all.

Faf said...
29 August 2008 at 10:09  

Orange gave me my PAC code over the phone at first request when I asked them. But that was a couple or so years ago. I guess the competition is now so much they will do any cheap trick to keep hold of you.

You sound like someone who knows what they are talking about - are there any ways round this and what network would you go with?

James G said...
29 August 2008 at 10:15  

I would write in as soon as they give me the code and send the letter in.

There's not much point in choosing or not choosing a network purely because you might want to leave 12 or 18 months down the line.

You've waited 12 months. Surely you should be able to wait 4 -5 more days to get your PAC (Most usually text you back with the PAC on the day they receive it)

Now it's the wait for the new network to claim the PAC and port you over that should upset you. Takes approx 10 days.

Faf said...
29 August 2008 at 10:25  

Wise words. Thanks.

I assume that your PAC never changes? If so, once you have it, you should hang on to it so you can change network much quicker in the future?

James G said...
29 August 2008 at 11:43  

no.. changes every time it's issued. each issue expired 30 days from when it's issued.

Faf said...
29 August 2008 at 12:18  

Damn. They have thought of everything.

James G said...
29 August 2008 at 12:56  

Maybe I'm being unfair on Carphone Warehouse as they manage their O2 connections and I'm trying to leave. Saying that:

1. I had no problem asking for my PAC Code when I left T-Mobile last year.

2. When I phoned Carphone Warehouse/O2 to get my PAC Code, I asked who was responsible for this shambles... the guy mumbled "Carphone Warehouse".

As James G says, times are changing. I see on Wikipedia Vodafone now write to you. I think all of this is pathetic - not SMSing your PAC code immediately is just stalling for time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting_Authorisation_Code

James E said...
30 August 2008 at 18:01  

Post a Comment