Michael Vaughan

Click on the title to see why we loved Michael Vaughan. The best England skipper in my lifetime; in 2005 England really was, for a brief second or two, the best side in the world. And much of it was down to him. Better judges than me can explain why he was an excellent cricket captain; as a fan what I liked most was his ability to answer good questions with good answers. Too many professional sportsmen trot out platitudes for fear of offending (NB Monty Panesar) but not Vaughan who always had something interesting to say.

However, while I hope he comes back as a player my feeling is we have seen the last of Michael Vaughan.

And for what it's worth, my Oval XI would be:

1. Cook
2. Key (capt)
3. Shah
4. Pietersen
5. Sales
6. Prior
7. Flintoff
8. Swann
9. Harmison
10. Anderson
11. Jones S.

A bit left-field? Well it must just shake-up that all too cosy club called Team England (I should add that Sidebottom would play ahead of Jones but the former is clearly not fit).

2 comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.
James G said...
4 August 2008 at 11:46  

Mmm. Interesting. I would field:

1. Cook
2. Strauss
3. Shah
4. Pietersen(capt)
5. Bell
6. Collingwood
7. Flintoff
8. Broad
9. Harminson
10. Sidebottom
11. Panesar

I fear you maybe right about Vaughan - but I hope not. Perhaps a summer off might be good for him and we will see him back for the ashes. A truly brilliant captain and the epitome of how a British sportsman should be.

Agreed about Jones - was our best bowler during the ashes victory, a real shame he has been blighted by injury.

James G said...
4 August 2008 at 11:49  

Post a Comment